The Exploring Physics CD-ROM includes more than 100 hands-on, minds-on activities in six independent modules:
Each Module contains:
- Hands-on student activities
- Inquiry-based experimental design activities
- Challenges — problem-solving activities
- Projects that students can build
- Student Reading Pages
Each activity contains:
- Appropriate conceptual information
- A rich collection of animations and figures
- Useful instructions on equipment
- Several quantitative activities
- Handy teacher hints
- Quick-check answers
- Several activities usable for assessment
- Content Background
- Printable .pdf files of activities
- Materials lists
- Links to National and Missouri State standards
Teachers, parents and students in grades 5-9
Some segments usable for grades 3-4 and for 10-12
Faculty providing professional development for middle level teachers
A learning-cycle-based strategy allows students to develop concepts in sequential “blocks”. Activities are designed to engage students, allow them to explore, then explain and further elaborate upon a concept. Challenge and quantitative activities evaluate what students have learned.
Using the CD in your classroom
The CD can be used in various formats:
- Students use the CD while performing activities. Answers to activity questions can be typed in and printed.
- Students use hard-copy printouts of the activities for data entry, and use the CD simultaneously to reference links.
- Students use hard-copy printouts of the activities for data entry, and the
- CD is available on the classroom computer for reference and demonstration of figures and animations.
- PC or Macintosh with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x or greater.
- At least 64MB of free RAM
- 4x CD-ROM or faster
- Three other (free) downloadable applications: Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0, Apple QuickTime 4.1.2 player, Macromedia Shockwave and Flash player (5.0 or greater)