What level of physics do eUnits for the Exploring Physics Curriculum App cover?
- eUnits for the Exploring Physics Curriculum App cover a yearlong course in conceptual physics.
- These eUnits are suitable for middle school and high school students in grades 8-12, inservice teacher professional development, and science / physics courses for preservice teachers.
Do I have to purchase new subscriptions each year?
- Yes. Subscriptions are set up for individual students and teachers. Text, graph and drawing entries made by a student will be stored on the server under their individual usernames. Similarly, student grades will be set up under each teacher’s username during a academic year. These usernames cannot be reused – new usernames must be set up for each student and teacher each year, so that they start with a “blank” eUnit.
- What if a student leaves mid-year and a new student comes in? Can I transfer the subscription? We will work with schools on an individual basis to remove the username of a student who leaves and provide a new one without charge, if necessary.
What is the difference between a student and a teacher version of the app?
- Student and teacher versions have slightly different content, and provide different administrative access.
- The student version of the Exploring Physics Curriculum App provides access to all the physics content pages.
- The teacher version of the Exploring Physics Curriculum App includes all pages present in the student version, plus extensive teacher notes and instructions for each activity, NGSS alignment, learning objectives, and common student misconceptions. The teacher version also provides access to the grading portal, which allows the teacher to grade student submissions online, and return graded submissions to the student.
- When a school’s user accounts are set up, students are grouped by class, where a class consists of a specific teacher and his/her students; thus, when students submit an assignment from the app, it is sent electronically to that specific teacher. If a school has a large number of classes, one teacher is designated as the administrator; this teacher can transfer students from one class to another, if necessary.
How much do eUnits for the Exploring Physics Curriculum App cost?
- eUnits for the Exploring Physics Curriculum app are sold on a subscription basis. Each user (teacher or student) needs to purchase a subscription, which will give the user access to the eUnits for one year. At this time only one package with all three eUnits (Unit 1. Introduction to Electricity; Unit 3. Uniform Motion; and Unit 4. Accelerated Motion) is available. This package costs $12 per user for the 2015-16 academic year.
- Example: a school wishes to purchase the above package of eUnits for a class with one teacher and 30 students. The 31 subscriptions will cost 31 x $12 = $372, and will give the teacher and his/her students access to the eUnits for the 2015-16 academic year.
- We anticipate releasing five more units over the 2015-16 academic year. As new units are released, a revised cost structure will be available.
How do I purchase eUnits for the Exploring Physics Curriculum App?
- Download the free Exploring Physics App for iPad from the Apple App store (available August 2015). Apps for other platforms will be released late 2015 / early 2016.
- Purchase subscriptions to access eUnits 1, 3 and 4 here. Purchase one subscription for each teacher and student. Place the total number of subscriptions in the cart. Your access will last one calendar year.
- Checkout to complete your purchase. Pay with a PayPal account or a credit card.
- School districts may purchase subscriptions with a purchase order.
- Teacher versions, compatible with iOS9, will be available in October 2015. Student versions, grouped into classes by teacher, will be available later in Fall 2015.
- After you have completed your purchase, we will send you a spreadsheet by email in order to set up user accounts. On this spreadsheet you will need to provide each user’s name, email address, and preferred password, and designate student or teacher access for each user. Account activation typically takes 1-2 business days.